- Week 1 “What is a Thesis” & Defining a Research Question
- Week 2 Considering methods, ethics & resources
- Week 3 How to write the literature and subject reviews
- Week 4 Presentation (Idea Pitch)
- Week 5 Independent Work
- Week 6 Proposal Submission Deadline
- Week 9 Return of Feedback on OAT
Proposal for the Thesis is 20% of the Marks, hand in by 4pm on 23rd May (Tuesday) on Moodle
- Cover Sheet
- Intro (500 Words: 250 Rationale, 250 Methodology)
- Literature/Subject Review (1000 Words: Images as appropriate, see pg 13-14 of Handbook)
- Reference List
Proposal should be 2000-2500 in total, excluding the cover sheet and annotated reference list/bibliography
20 Credits: 4000-5000 Words
40 Credits: 8000-10000 Words
What is a thesis?
Appropriate scope and boundaries
How do I work out a research question?
“If you choose a subject that interests you…you will experience the thesis as a game, as a bet, or as a treasure hunt…if you play the game with comparative gusto, you will write a good thesis. But if you begin with the idea that it is a meaningless ritual in which you have no interest, you have lost before you have begun” (Eco 2015 , p7)
“The more you narrow the field, the better and more safely you will work.” (Eco 2015 , p7)
COMMUNITIES IN ONLINE VIDEOGAMES:
Overwatch, League of Legends, DOTA 2, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard/Valve etc).